Villa Park Police Deputy Chief Mike Lay called together all CERT members for a special meeting at the police station on Monday, April 18. The purpose of the meeting was to review upcoming events, relay changes within the Police Department and to check CERT equipment deployed for each member.
VP Police Sgt. James Krupiczowicz (Krup) was introduced as the new contact for the CERT team. In addition, Jerry Skiba was identified as the new Chief of Part Time Officers who will continue to command special event CERT deployments.
Upcoming 5K runs in Villa Park are many in the coming weeks. Jerry Skiba reviewed the schedule as well as radio communications for the special events.
The following are the current planned events for the first half of 2016 where CERT members may volunteer their time:
- April 23, 2016 – Skahill 5K
- April 30, 2016 – Drug Take Back
- May 1, 2016 – Emilio Perez 5K
- May 7, 2016 – Easter Seals 5K, Kentucky Derby
- May 20, 2016 – Cop On Top – Special Olympics
- May 22, 2016 – SDA Church 5K
- May 22, 2016 – WBHS Graduation
- June 5, 2016 – Special Olympics Torch Run
- June 17, 2016 – Summrfest
- June 18, 2016 – Lauren Keifer 5K
- June 18, 2016 – Summerfest
- July 4, 2016 – VFW Parade
- August 2, 2016 – National Night Out
Officer Eric Haimann described the coming Special Olympics Torch Run events that include Cop On Top at the Lighthouse Dunkin Donuts on May 22nd, and the Torch Run following on June 5th. An additional event at Wal Mart to raise funds is still in the planning stage.